Coal Mining in Illinois
 

Braidwood Businesses

 
Braidwood Home Businesses Churches Education G-Shaft Candy Odds & Ends Photos Recreation
 
Braidwood City Hall, c. 1900
Braidwood City Hall, c. 1900
Braidwood City Hall, c. 1900

When built in 1881, it was one of the finest buildings on the coal fields. The two-story structure housed the Council Chambers, the City Clerk's Office and the library upstairs. The ground floor contained the Courtroom and the jail.
 
 
Peter Rossi & Sons Macaroni Factory, 1910

Peter Rossi, Sr. came to the United States from the Piedmont area of Northwestern Italy in the late 1870's and began manufacturing macaroni, as he had in Italy. In 1898 Rossi purchased the old Broadbent Hotel, which he extensively remodeled to serve as a factory. It was powered by a blind horse that traveled in a circle turning the capstan to which were attached belts to distribute the power to the semolina mixer and kneader and to the screw press which fashioned the shaped dough bearing descriptive names.

Peter Rossi & Sons Macaroni Factory, 1910
Peter Rossi & Sons Macaroni Factory, 1910

 

 

The Braidwood Relief Store, 1897
The Braidwood Relief Store, 1897

 

The Braidwood Relief Store, 1897

During the many strikes and shut downs, miners and their families suffered. Some strikes lasted as long as six or seven months. Funds raised by the miners union's made relief stores possible. They doled out meager "relief supplies", such as flour, salt, oatmeal, coffee, etc.