Coal Mining in Illinois
 

Braidwood Churches

 
Braidwood Home Businesses Churches Education G-Shaft Candy Odds & Ends Photos Recreation
 

 

Methodist Episcopal Church
Methodist Episcopal Church

 

 

 

Methodist Episcopal Church

The Methodist Church is one of the oldest churches in Braidwood. The first organized services were held in 1867 in one of the city schools, with Rev. A.C. Price as minister in charge. By 1869 members had financed and built one of the finest modern church edifices in the area. The church was located on the southeast corner of Main and School Streets. It was torn down in 1955.


 


Divider

 

First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church

 

 

 

First Presbyterian Church

The earliest Presbyterians held services first under shade trees in the Grove area, and later at the Grove School. The Presbyterian Church group was officially established in 1872, under Rev. E.R. Davis. Construction of the church began in 1873 and the First Presbyterian Church was dedicated in 1875. The church still stands at its original location on Lincoln St. near Main.

 

Divider

 

Immaculate Conception Catholic Church
Immaculate Conception Catholic Church

 

 

 

Immaculate Conception Catholic Church

The first Catholic church was built in 1869 and was located at the north end of Walker St. Fire destroyed the church in 1887. A new church was built at the southwest corner of Main and School Streets. This church was destroyed in 1911 by fire started by lightning striking the high steeple. The church was rebuilt and dedicated the following year.