Coal Mining in Illinois
 

BrBraidwood Education

 
Braidwood Home Businesses Churches Education G-Shaft Candy Odds & Ends Photos Recreation
 


Braidwood Lower School, 1871

Braidwood Lower School, 1871

The Lower Braidwood School was built on a large plot of land donated by one of the area coal companies. The large, two-story frame building stood on Center Street, just north of Fifth. The rooms were often filled to capacity with the children of miners. At times it was necessary to double-shift the pupils to morning and afternoon classes.


 

 

East and Grove School Teachers

East and Grove School Teachers

Seated, L-R, Alice Hufford, Margaret McDermott, Charles H. Root, Principal, and Agnes Steen Standing, L-R, Agnes Kilpatric, Emma Simms, Elizabeth Clark, Agnes Kain, Edna Chapin, Carrie Peart, Emma Watson and Minnie George.