Coal Mining in Illinois
 

Carbon Hill Education

 
Carbon Hill Home Businesses Education People Recreation
 
Carbon Hill School Peak Years

Carbon Hill School around 1900

The school was built in 1893, a wooden two-story structure with four rooms, two upstairs and two downstairs, each room having its own heater. A small building located behind the school was converted to class room use at one time for the numerous 1st graders. As the population decreased, the little school was no longer needed. Later, the top floor was removed.
 

 

Carbon Hill School 1999

 

Carbon Hill School, 1999

The school closed around 1956 and later became the home of Dr. and Mrs. Paul Brockhaus. In 1992, the building was purchased by the town of Carbon Hill. The school is now open as the Carbon Hill School Museum, owned and operated by the Carbon Hill Historical Society.

 
An honor roll ribbon from a Carbon Hill School, May 1888.

 

An honor roll ribbon from a Carbon Hill School, May 1888.

 

Class Photos

 

Carbon Hill School students Room 2, 1899

Carbon Hill School students Room 2, 1899


 

Carbon Hill High School Students, 1904

Carbon Hill High School Students, 1904

The High School students are pictured here with R.E. Ballenger, School Superintendent.

 

Carbon Hill School Room 3

Carbon Hill School Room 3

 

Carbon Hill School, 1923

Carbon Hill School, 1923

 

Class of 1907

Class of 1907

Front Row (L-R): Tony Darin, Art McCardell, Jim Procarlone

Second Row (L-R): John Imparl, Angelo Darin, Bartho Callegaro, Bert Peart, Sam McCalum, Jim Keers, Orville Cardwell, Bill Monehon, John DePratt

Third Row (L-R): Elsie Cox, Mary Marta, Perina Genard, Mary Callegaro, Phoebe Henderson, Pearl Taylor, Fannie Baudino, Jennie Faletti

Top Row (L-R): Barbara Born, Frances Stoehr, Kate Born, Callie Norwood, Emma Richie, Pauline Born, Cora Testa

Left Side (Top to Bottom): Domenic Bianchetta, Russell Bull, Ed Martinec, John Darian (of Joliet, identified this photo for the Coal City Courant, 1994)