Coal Mining in Illinois
 

Coal City Businesses

 
Coal City Home Bank Businesses Churches Education Photos Recreation Somerville
 

Coalfield Store, late 1800's

Coalfield Store, late 1800's

 

 

Another view of the Coalfield Company Store, 1800's

Another view of the Coalfield Company Store, 1800's

 

 
Built by the Coalfield Company, the store included general merchandise, a meat market, a foreign exchange and an ocean steamship ticket office.


The Coalfield Hotel

The Coalfield Hotel

The Coalfield Hotel was one of the first buildings in Coal City. It was built and operated by the Coalfield Company. The hotel sat adjacent to the Coalfield Company Store.

 

 


Coalfield Hotel & Store, west side of the 600 and 700 blocks of South Broadway.

Coalfield Hotel & Store, west side of the 600 and 700 blocks of South Broadway.

Two unidentified boys facing the Coalfield Store, circa 1896

Two unidentified boys facing the Coalfield Store, circa 1896

 

Helen Campbell

Daughter of William Campbell and bookkeeper at the Coalfield Hotel (in front of the Coalfield store).

 

1904 Calendar from a store owned by Battista Bertino that was located at Kankakee/Division Streets

1904 Calendar from a store owned by Battista Bertino that was located at Kankakee/Division Streets

 

Piagno's General Store, also known as Queen's Corner

Piagno's General Store, also known as Queen's Corner

The Queen of the Mining Village excerpt from
"Black Coal for White Bread"

 

McKinley House and Livery Stable

McKinley House and Livery Stable

Pictured left to right: Thomas Shelley, Garibaldi, Anny Gonora (Gomora?) Perry, Mary Stewart Dearth holding Mary McKinley Campbell
 

Campbell's Ice Cream Parlor and Variety Store, 1940

Campbell's Ice Cream Parlor and Variety Store, 1940

 

Castle Hall (Formerly Raschiotti's Hall)

Castle Hall (Formerly Raschiotti's Hall)

The hall is located at Broadway and Park Street. It was built about 1891 and had three stores downstairs and a large hall upstairs. The building became known as Castle Hall in 1902 when the Knights of Pythias began holding their meetings there,

 

Coal City Post Office

Post Office

Westside of the 700 block of South Broadway

 

Santa Fe Depot

Santa Fe Depot

The Santa Fe Depot, circa 1952, with the Atlas Wallpaper Mill in background. The original depot was built in 1888 by the Chicago, Santa Fe and California Railway; but it burned down in 1926. This replacement depot was built on Biama Street and the east end of Church Street.

 

Santa Fe Depot

Santa Fe Depot

A photograph, circa 1912, of the Santa Fe Depot located on
Mazon Street in Coal City. It burned down in the late 1920's.

 

Big 4 Wilmington Coal Company Mine #6

Big 4 Wilmington Coal Company Mine #6

Big 4 Wilmington Coal Company Mine #6, north of Coal City, circa 1911.

 

Wilmington Star Mining Company Mine #3

Wilmington Star Mining Company Mine #3

The Wilmington Star Mining Company Mine #3 operated from 1875 to 1897. It was located south of Coal City on Broadway and Spring Road.

 

 

Wilmington Star Mining Company Mine #7

Wilmington Star Mining Company Mine #7

circa 1912