Coal Mining in Illinois
Shaft Mining
 
 

Wilmington Star No. 3 Mine

Wilmington Star No. 3 Mine

This mine was located just south of Coal City.
It was in operation from 1875 to 1898.

 

 

Wilmington Star No. 4 Mine

Wilmington Star No. 4 Mine

This mine was located near the southeast corner
of Coal City. It was in operation from 1878 to 1888.

 
Left dividerRight divider

Wilmington Star No. 5 Mine

Wilmington Star No. 5 Mine

This mine was located near the southwest corner
of Coal City. It was in operation from 1889 to 1908.

 

Wilmington Star No. 7 Mine

Wilmington Star No. 7 Mine

This mine was located west of Coal City.
It was in operation from 1904 to 1926.

Left dividerRight divider

Chicago, Wilmington and Vermilion Coal Company, "R" Mine

Chicago, Wilmington and Vermilion Coal Company, "R" Mine

This was the last large underground mine in Braidwood. It was in operation from 1896 to 1899. From here the company moved its operations to Streator, South Wilmington and then to Franklin County, Illinois.

 

 

Big Four Wilmington No 5. Mine

Big Four Wilmington No 5. Mine

Located just west of Carbon Hill, this mine was owned and operated by several mining companies throughout its twenty year run from 1892 to 1912.

It was first run by the Star Coal Company, then Taylor & Cavanaugh, Big Four Coal Company and finally Big Four Wilmington Coal Company.

 

Left dividerRight divider

Chicago, Wilmington & Vermilion Coal Company, "B" Mine

Chicago, Wilmington & Vermilion Coal Company, "B" Mine

This line art drawing of the "B" shaft mine is from
the Will/Grundy Genealogical Society.

 

 

Chicago, Wilmington & Vermilion Coal Company, "C" Mine

Chicago, Wilmington & Vermilion Coal Company, "C" Mine

This line art drawing of the "C" shaft mine
is from the Will/Grundy Genealogical Society.

Left dividerRight divider

Chicago, Wilmington & Vermilion Coal Company, "E" Mine

Chicago, Wilmington & Vermilion Coal Company, "E" Mine

This line art drawing of the "E" mine is from the
Will/Grundy Genealogical Society.

 

 

Chicago, Wilmington & Vermilion Coal Company, "G" Mine

Chicago, Wilmington & Vermilion Coal Company, "G" Mine

This line art drawing of the "G" shaft mine is from the Will/Grundy Genealogical Society. Harriet Williamson used this mine shaft as the namesake of the candy she made and sold.

Left dividerRight divider

Braceville No. 6 Mine

Braceville No. 6 Mine

This was one of six mines owned and operated by the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, also known as the Braceville Coal Company. Mines 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 were located north of Braceville. Mine 1 was located south of Braceville.