Coal Mining in Illinois
 

Wilmington Businesses

 
Wilmington Home Businesses Churches Education Odds & Ends
 

Water Street, early 1900's

Water Street, early 1900's

View of Water Street looking north, about 1900. First building with an awning on right side is the John Marle Shoe Shop. Farther down on the corner is the Bennett Dry Goods and Furniture Store. On the left side is the Schroeder Hotel. Next door was the Spot Cash Variety Store. The number of buggies suggest that it was a Saturday when the photo was taken.
 

Soldier's Widows' Home

The Soldier's Widows' Home

The Soldier's Widows' Home was located on the west bank of the Kankakee River. Malcolm Stewart, a Wilmington banker, was instrumental in founding the home through the Women's Relief Corps Department of Illinois in 1895.

 

 
 

Stewart House

The Stewart House

The Stewart House, a hotel located on the corner of Van Buren and Water Streets was constructed in 1854 by Peter Stewart. One of Wilmington's most influential early citizens, Stewart was an ardent abolitionist and quite proud to be known as the "President" of the underground railroad in this area. During the late 1850's and throughout the Civil War, fugitive slaves found food and safe lodging here on their trek from the South to Canada or northern abolitionist communities.

 

 

First National Bank

First National Bank

The First National Bank of Wilmington was chartered in 1863 and was the first national bank in Will County. It was the 177th national bank chartered in the United States. The original officers were: A.J. McIntyre, President; J.W. Stewart, Vice President; and James Whitten, Cashier.